Monday, November 14, 2011

My first Christmas deco of the season

I love wreaths! Nothing says welcome to my home like a Christmas wreath hung on the front door, or on all the windows as was done on my grandmothers old house. I've never had one though, always wanted to make one! The budget is very tight right now, this economy is not the best, but I don't have to tell you that right? I mean that's why you are here. I took my low budget self on a shopping spree at the local Dollar Tree. Being that it is the "beginning of the season" they were not totally picked over yet.




I scored a 12" wreath on wire, it was skimpy to I got a 20 ft garland to work into it. I saw some nice red scroll designed wire line ribbons, so added that to the basket. Some very pretty glittery berries, but I didn't like the leaves on them. In the same display were some velvety holly leaves with not so nice berries, so I picked up both, the pretty berries and the pretty leaves. For a little extra flair I saw some pretty glittery reindeer with small bells and then for the center piece a start shaped door knob hanger with gold bells. So Red and Gold were the two main colors.

At home I rolled out the garland and began cutting 8" pieces. I wrapped these around the pre-made wreath to fatten it up a bit. I then unwound one of the ribbons and worked it in and out of the pine needles securing it in place by wrapping in through the hoop. Next were the berries, as I said I loved the glittery berries but the leaves had to go. So I took apart both picks and paired the pretty berries with the velvety leaves. Since they were on wire sticks they were very easy to slide into place and secure with one of the new tied on pine pieces from the garland. Since I could not find my extra bouquet wire I pulled the ugly berries off of one of the left over sticks and used it to secure the door knob hanging star to the top. Last were the reindeer. I wont lie I wanted to get this posted so badly that they are not secured into place yet. I'll have to hot glue them I think.



Not too bad and all I spent was $7.00!

No comments:

Post a Comment