Friday, November 18, 2011

Dollar Store decorating!!!

Thrifty, thrifty, thrifty that's me! I started my holiday decorating this week, my first project was a wreath, all from Dollar Tree items. Today I made a cute hurricane lamp decoration, again all dollar tree items!

The lamp is something I have had for awhile, I think it is actually used for flowers, but when unpacking the Christmas ornaments I had an idea! It took me a couple tries to get it to look just right. I tried first with red and silver ornaments but it looked too empty, there were a lot of spaces that the ornaments wouldn't fit into. then I tried beads, like mardi gras beads but it looked too busy, finally I saw some garland, cut up into small pieces it worked just right!

What you will need for this project:
Hurrican lamp/ wide mouthed vase
Small ornaments
Tinsel Garland
Candy canes (real or plastic)
Santa Hat






This went onto my "mantle" (another craft project). I had left over ornaments and holly leaves from the wreath so I made holly berries for the cabinet door handles. The doors have square window fronts and I use the cabinets for candle and picture frame storage so I wanted to hide the contents. I used some very pretty "tissue paper" also purchased at the dollar tree, it gave the window a frosted effect with a red holly design, I liked it but I really wanted it to be less see through so I added plain white printing paper behind the tissue. I put 3 red ornaments on a twist tie and added the holly leaves, and voila!

The last project was small and simple, glass beads around the votive candle holder with a tea light inside. Super simple, very pretty. I'll be adding more to this area soon.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment